RANT: verb 1 : to talk in a noisy, excited, or declamatory manner 2 : to scold vehemently transitive senses : to utter in a bombastic declamatory fashion - rant·er noun - rant·ing·ly /'ran-ti[ng]-lE/ adverb

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

That thing called 'Thanksgiving'

I lied. I'll be bringing you your regularly scheduled snark a wee bit more tonight.

This is the week everyone asks everyone else what they're doing for Thanksgiving. I love getting this question, because as a vegetarian native american, the answers are usually guaranteed to make someone's jaw hit the floor. And for the record? No, I don't eat turkey ever, not even once a year for Thanksgiving. I'm pretty sure that's one small thing the turkeys of the world are thankful for.

Due to my being a complete hermit for about two months, I've only gotten this question twice. As I mentioned in the earlier post, Real Life reared it's ugly head and took a big ole bite right out of my backside, so life has kinda been a major ball of suck lately.

However, comparitively, it hasn't been all that bad. I'm not starving, I have a roof over my head, my family and friends are all safe and sound, I *have* friends and family to even worry about and who care enough to worry about me in return, I have access to decent medical technology for just about any ill I could possibly come down with, when I get bored I have entertainment close at hand, and all in all, life just isn't as bad as it is for some people in other parts of the world at this time of year.

So that's really what I'm thankful for. Sometimes it's hard to remember, when you're sitting at the bottom of a slump, that comparitively, your slump is just a tiny little divot in the grand scheme of things-that-could-suck. I'm thankful for all the wonderful people in my life, and for all the wonderful things about my life, for everything that makes me smile and everything that makes me sad - because without that I probably wouldn't appreciate the smiles as much as I do.

And I'm also thankful that at least once a year, this week rolls around and really makes me think about all that. That's what I'm doing for Thanksgiving - thinking about the things I'm thankful for.

Onward and upward and through the night we persevere until we find the light again.

Peace.

0 They Have Spoken:

Post a Comment

<< Home